Volunteers On Wheels (VOW) is an unincorporated non-profit organization which is recognized as a support organization for Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Church (NWYM), an Oregon non-profit religious corporation. VOW facilitates providing volunteer workers to NWYM, its affiliated churches, camps, schools and other related organizations as well as for other approved non-profit Christian organizations.
Women and men, who are members and attendees of NWYM churches and other Christians who are committed to serving God with their talents and time are welcome to become part of VOW. “Wheels” in our name is meant to imply that we are mobile and willing to travel to the various work sites. There is no requirement that the member have access to a recreational vehicle.
As a support organization of NWYM, VOW members are expected to subscribe to the Core Values of NWYM as found in its Faith and Practice.
- Jesus Christ is present.
- Scripture calls us to account and helps us know God’s will.
- God is the source of life, and all human life is sacred.
- The Holy Spirit transforms and empowers us.
- We are called to be and to make followers of Christ.
- We are called to live out Christ’s love.
- We are called to be agents of God’s peace and love to everyone.
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV) describes the function of VOW members, “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do”.
The kinds of service which may be provided by VOW at any given time will depend on the skills and abilities of available VOW members. As volunteers are available, VOW may offer assistance in several areas:
- Construction such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, welding, masonry, painting and concrete
- General labor not requiring a particular skill
- Ministry including pulpit supply, Bible School, Sunday School teaching, leadership training, Bible study, counseling, administration, etc.
- Service including secretarial, sewing, library, tutoring, accounting, etc.
INTERESTED IN BEING A VOW VOLUNTEER – CLICK ON THIS LINK: Membership Application Form