In July of 2013 the NWYM Administrative Committee approved my request to be recognized as a ‘Local Missionary’ serving in NWYM. Since August of 2013 I have been developing a faith based non-profit in the Coeur d’Alene Idaho area called “Kaleidoscope Community Services”. Through KCS I opened up a downtown location in January 2014 called the “2nd Street Commons” which is open to serve our local homeless population Sunday through Friday from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. We are a free place to find resources, connect with friends, use the bathroom, eat a great meal, use a computer, and be safe.
In the last 8 months we have:
- Served 40-45 meals each day
- Found employment for 9 people
- Found housing for 9 people
- Helped 3 people to get into recovery programs
- and ministered to countless folks needing hope and encouragement through Jesus Christ.
We have also:
- Connected to 10 other local groups serving the same population, establishing collaborative partnership
- Provided an outlet for over 100 volunteers from 10 different local churches
- Allowed other groups to use our venue at no cost including two state health and welfare run programs
- and established the 2nd Street Commons as a hub of information, resources, and most of all RELATIONSHIPS building.
‘Phase Two’ of my Local Missionary journey is to make myself available to NWYM churches, groups, and individuals. I’m available to come visit your place for a weekend, I’m available for ongoing coaching for groups or individuals, I’m also open for groups or individuals to visit or intern with me here in Coeur d’Alene.
If any of you have questions on how I can be helpful in missional leadership development and capacity building, call or email me. My passion is to help our churches to be all they can be in our local community.
INTERESTED IN DONATING TO GAR’S ‘LOCAL MISSIONARY’ FUND?
Funds can donated through the NWYM office!