The NWYM Administrative Council met in Newberg, OR, on January 21 & 22, 2016, to continue deciding how to process the appeals filed by a number of meetings in objection to the decision of the Elders regarding West Hills Friends:
- We affirm the elders’ determination that West Hills is a strong, healthy, growing community of Christian Friends.
- We also find, with the elders, that as a yearly meeting, we are not in unity over our statement on human sexuality in the Faith and Practice.
- We remain united in our commitment to understanding the Scriptures and letting them convict and guide us.
- We remain united in our belief that God speaks to and leads God’s people.
- We remain united in our desire to minister the gospel in love to all people.
- We continue to find our identity in Jesus Christ, who has called us to be one people together.
Regretfully, we are not able to come to unity to overturn or affirm the elders’ decision to release West Hills. Therefore, we’ve postponed the effective date of West Hills’ release at least until yearly meeting sessions. At that time, the Board of Elders will report to the Yearly Meeting its summary of the state of the church, allowing time for prayerful consideration of issues raised by the report and by any attached judgments or interpretations offered by the Board of Elders.
See also: Elders Decision Regarding West Hills