In accordance with the Faith and Practice, the Administrative Council was tasked with managing an appeals process in response to the Elders’ decision to release West Hills Friends Church from the Yearly Meeting membership. All the churches and interested members were invited to submit responses regarding the Elders’ decision. The Administrative Council reviewed all the written responses. After full deliberation, the Administrative Council was unable to affirm or reject the Elders’ decision.
The Administrative Council recognizes the sensitive nature of discussions pertaining to West Hills that may occur during the Business Sessions at Yearly Meeting. It is important to the health of our NWYM body to abide by a format, which allows for productive conversation on the Yearly Meeting floor. The Administrative Council sets forth these parameters surrounding this topic:
- There will be visual overheads to help guide our discussion
- There will be a three-minute time limit for each person
- Participants may speak once
- Questions and statements regarding West Hills should be directed toward the Presiding Clerk
- Language that derails discussion will be stopped by the Presiding Clerk
Note to Members During Business Sessions:
The Administrative Council acknowledges that approval of the Board of Elders report would result in the decision to release West Hills Friends remaining in effect. If the members in Business session do not reach consensus around the Elders’ report, several outcomes are possible, such as the following:
- Referred to the representatives for a recommendation or decision back to the floor of the Yearly Meeting (Faith and Practice 1.03.02).
- Referred back to the Elders for further consideration.
- Another leading from the Holy Spirit.
Friends, please be holding in prayer our Yearly Meeting business sessions that we come with a servant’s attitude, seeking and submitting our personal hopes and desires to the leading of the Holy Spirit.