Annual Sessions 2010 Workshop List
The workshop descriptions are below, listed according to their number in the table above.
1. Friends Women – will meet each day to hear from our missionaries and for business. Monday: Retha McCutcheon will bring an update from Israel; Tuesday: we’ll hear from Kathi Perry (Ireland), Roy Twaddell, and teachers from Rwanda; Wednesday: Nancy Thomas will speak about work in Latin America.
2. Reaching out to Russia – Judy Maurer
3. Teaching Abroad Report – Teaching Abroad team
4. Biblical Conflict Resolution, parts 1 & 2 – Karrie Brothers Learn how to apply the Gospel to conflicts in your everyday life, and see the opportunity hidden in every conflict.
5. Immigration: What You Should Know – John Munson & Angel Diaz Immigration issues affect people every day in all of our communities. During this workshop, John & Angel facilitate a Q&A among attendees.
6. Prepare/Enrich – Arden Kinser Resources for ministry to dating, premarital and married couples.
7. Building 3-D Characters in Fiction – Karen Oberst We’ll discuss character development in fiction, how to bring the characters to life, and practice together in small groups.
8. YCEW 2010 – Aguascalientes – YCEW 2010 team Nine NWYM high school students and two leaders spent several weeks working alongside EFM missionaries in Aguascalientes, Mexico. They’re coming together to share their story.
9. BioSand Water Filtration – Del Livingston Report on our Thanksgiving Offering project.
10. Plugging into Prisoners – Tom Slick Learn about Tom’s work with Prisoner Visitation Fellowship (PVS), originally started with the help of Friends.
11. Convergent Friends Worship Experience – C. Wess Daniels Less of a workshop, more of an experience. Join us for alternative worship and a time of sharing.
12. Free Hosting for Church Web sites, parts 1 & 2 Jason Schwanz & Gilbert George Come learn how to set up a free Website with Dreamhost, using WordPress software. Bring your own laptop and we’ll get you started!
13. Mennonite Central Committee – MCC representatives
14. Tired of Being in the Dark? – Board of Christian Education Join us as we shine a light on each of the many resources the Yearly Meeting has to offer educators.
15. Open Mic Poetry Reading– Jim Teeters & Nancy Thomas, facilitators A ’round robin’ format to share original poetry and writings in an open mic setting.
16. How Friendsview Works – Dennis Russell & Becky Ankeny Help Friendsview Retirement Community think through their future, and how they can better meet the needs of seniors from inside and outside the Newberg area. Learn about access to assistance for recorded ministers, and voice your questions or concerns.
17. Women in Leadership – Carole Spencer, facilitator. An exploration of the significant role women played in the founding and development of NWYM from its beginning in the 1870s to the present.
18. Recovery Ministry in the Northwest – Mike Slothower. How can we join in the ministry of recovery? Learn about the needs surrounding us, and the strategies to help.
19. When Helping Hurts – Fred Gregory, Hal & Nancy ThomasWhen Helping Hurts: This workshop panel, based on concepts in the book of the same name and on the experiences of the panelists, will explore both the dark and the bright side of North Americans trying to serve among the poor at home and around the world.
20. Is Your Church Healthy? – Phil & Marge McLain. Learn how to evaluate your church’s health by use of eight quality characteristics.
21. New Church Old Church Partnerships – Chris Lauri & Bob Schneiter. Hear how Anthem, a ministry point, and Hayden Lake Friends, an established church, continue to work out their partnership.
22. Godly Play the Quaker Way – Caryl Menkhus. Faith and Play, the Friends adaptation of Godly Play, teaches children (and the adults who work with them) the art of using biblical story, parable, silence, and worship to be aware of the mystery of God’s presence in their lives. Different than just telling kids what they need to know, it shows them how to know God.
23. Our Future in Morocco – Morocco visioning team
24. Stories of Local Outreach – Gar Mickelson. How are Friends in the Northwest reaching out to their communities? Hear their experiences and gather ideas for yourselves.
25. Stories from Love and Logic – Delonna Halliday. Come share and listen to stories from those involved with Love & Logic. We will review the program and discuss how your church can utilize this family resource.
26. Response to Global Change – FWCC representatives. This is part of a consultation on global change, preparing for the 2012 World Conference of Friends in Kenya. Small cluster groups all over the world will respond to queries on global change.
27. Preventing Abuse in Ministry – Practical ways ministries can safeguard the physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being of young people and other vulnerable individuals.
28. Local Church Elders – Becky Ankeny & Colin Saxton. This workshop combines a brief presentation of the vision of eldering presented in the Elders’ Handbook and a longer time of questions and answers.
29. Local Church Care Teams – Gene Mulkey & Eric Anglin. Learn how your local meeting can recalibrate around local outreach.
30. Interim Pastoring – Mark Kelley. Mark Kelley has served as interim pastor at two NWYM meetings and has attended a national workshop on intentional interim ministry. He will present what he has learned at the conference & from experience, and will lead a discussion afterwards.
31. Peace through Pieces: Burundi & Congo Patty Federighi. Ministry of trauma healing through quilt-making in Burundi and Congo, in cooperation with Trauma Healing and Reconciliation Services of Burundi.